Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Downloading Fonts to Mac

I thought I would post this now that I have finally figured it out for you Mac users. It's not so easy to just download a free font from the web like you used to do on your PC. After searching, I finally figured it out and I'll tell you how to do it.

*Make sure other programs are closed before doing this or the font may not install on that program*

1. Download "The Unarchiver". I know there are other programs that do it but this is the one I'm using and it works great. When you download it, it should save automatically to your desktop. Leave it there.

2. Go to 1001 Free Fonts or some other free font website and download the font you want. Keep in mind that not all fonts are compatible with Mac's. I know that I cannot open ".zip" files. I'm assuming it's because they are made strictly for PC's (correct me if I'm wrong).

3. Now that you have your font downloaded (it will probably be a ".sit" file) and it's on your desktop, drag it onto your "The Unarchiver" folder. It will automatically create a new folder for that font except it is now accesible. The Unarchiver opens up your files to make them accessible, just like when you had a PC, you had to have your .zip files opened before you could use them. Make sense? If not, let me know.

4. Open the folder. There may be a folder in there labeled "BB", "FFIL", or etc. that is grey. If there is, all you do is drag and drop it into your Fonts folder (HD>Library>Fonts). You may also see another folder, that looks like the original ".sit" folder, that is labeled "BIN". If so, you need to drag and drop that "BIN" folder into The Unarchiver one more time. It will create another little grey icon that you can then drag and drop into your Fonts folder.

If all went well, when you open Photoshop or Word, the font will be there. Please let me know if you tried this and it worked. I want to make sure I didn't miss a step.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Sabrina! I have a Mac and have been too lazy to figure out how to do this. I will have to try this soon.